Rain returns to small screen with fantasy series ‘Ghost Doctor’

Actors Jung Ji-hoon and Kim Bum pose for pictures during the online press conference of the comedy series 'Ghost Doctor,' Monday. Courtesy of tvN
Actors Jung Ji-hoon and Kim Bum pose for pictures during the online press conference of the comedy series “Ghost Doctor,” Monday. Courtesy of tvN


By Lee Gyu-lee

Singer and actor Jung Ji-hoon, better known by his stage name Rain, has returned to the small screen with tvN’s new fantasy comedy series, “Ghost Doctor,” about three years after he starred in the romantic comedy series, “Welcome 2 Life.”

“As with most actors, I always want to take part whenever I see a good project … and when I read the script for ‘Ghost Doctor,’ I found it really interesting but at the same time, I thought it would be really difficult.,” Jung said during an online press conference of the series, Monday.

“There’s the heavy length of the lines, CGI and it’s a medical series with an unfolding romance story, so I hesitated at first. But after meeting with the director and writer, I became certain of taking the role.”

Led by famous director Boo Sung-chul, whose previous works include the smash-hit romance series “The Heirs,” and “My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho,” the comedy medical series revolves around two completely opposite doctors who experience a body swap.

Cha Young-min (Jung) is a brilliant but condescending doctor who has the highest level of medical skill in the hospital. Ko Seung-tak (Kim Bum) is a resident physician who comes from a wealthy family and has no interest in training to become a skilled doctor.

One day, Young-min is involved in a car accident and wakes up in Seung-tak’s body. Having completely opposite personalities, backgrounds, and medical skills, the two must figure out how they are going to carry on with their lives as they inhabit one another’s bodies.

The series kicked off, Monday, with a 4.4 percent viewership rating nationwide and a 4.9 percent rating in the metropolitan area.

Actors Jung Ji-hoon and Kim Bum pose for pictures during the online press conference of the comedy series 'Ghost Doctor,' Monday. Courtesy of tvN
Scenes from the series / Courtesy of tvN


Jung noted that the series offers light-hearted comedy despite the story revolving around the hospital.

“Even though it is a medical series, it’s not too serious… it will cover a variety of themes and moods in one story from medical, comedy, bromance to love and passion,” he said.

The actor expressed that he put a lot of effort into playing the straightforward, egocentric character and to make it convincing to viewers.

“Young-min is very condescending, sharp-tongued, and selfish…. I even wrote a journal putting myself in the character, like ‘he would make this kind of joke and use this kind of expression,” he said, adding that fellow cast members and the director helped him a lot in creating his character. “I am so thankful for the good chemistry I have with the co-stars.”

Jung and Kim said that they had great chemistry both on and off the set.

“I am not so good with improv, but as I work with Jung, I learned a lot from him,” Kim said. “To do the scenes where my body is possessed by Young-min, I observed him for months even when we were not filming… I tried to pick up his habits and gestures. And I hope it was delivered well in the series.”

“Ghost Doctor” airs Mondays and Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m.


Rain returns to small screen with fantasy series ‘Ghost Doctor’
Source: Buhay Kapa PH

Post a Comment

0 Comments