Funnyman Song Sae-byeok on playing bad cop in ‘Special Delivery’

 Actor Song Sae-byeok in the film, 'Special Delivery' / Courtesy of NEW, M Pictures
Actor Song Sae-byeok in the film, “Special Delivery” / Courtesy of NEW, M Pictures


By Kwak Yeon-soo

With his penchant for playing comical characters in “The Servant” (2010) and “The Suck Up Project: Mr. XXX-Kisser” (2012), actor Song Sae-byeok has earned a reputation as the funnyman of the film industry.


In 2014, he sought transformation from a comic relief character into a villainous character with “A Girl at My Door,” in which he plays a deadbeat dad.

Song discussed the challenge of playing a villain in movies, including the latest “Special Delivery,” saying he lost about 5 kilograms and couldn’t eat or sleep well

“There were times when I woke up in sweat or had to prick my fingers with a needle to calm my upset stomach. It was stressful,” he said during an interview with The Korea Times.

“I imagined that a person whose sole purpose of life is to make money wouldn’t enjoy eating. So I lost some weight even before our first table read, and the director seemed happy with the idea.”

In “Special Delivery,” Song plays Kyung-pil, who goes after 10-year-old Seo-won, who is given 30 billion won ($25 million) from his deceased father, and Eun-ha (Park So-dam), who tries to save the young boy

On playing a police officer and mob boss, Song shared he has always wanted to play a character with two sides.

“Even if the villain is evil, I’ve always tried to feel empathy for him. However, I couldn’t approach Kyung-pil with that feeling. I understood him as a person who has ambition for money but cares about nothing else,” he said.

 Actor Song Sae-byeok in the film, 'Special Delivery' / Courtesy of NEW, M Pictures
Actor Song Sae-byeok / Courtesy of NEW


Song maintains a typical cold-blooded persona throughout that doesn’t hesitate to commit murder and violence to get what he wants. Kyung-pil also has a bureaucratic habit of treating his colleagues the way a gang leader would treat his members.

Asked if portraying a downright villain is more difficult than a comedic character, he said, “Acting in comedy and crime action are all very difficult, but I think snapping out of the bully character is more mentally draining.”

Song, who is the father of a nine-year-old daughter, confessed that he is a bit worried about what his daughter might say about his character if she sees the film in the future.

“I’m not really picky about my projects, but I’m looking for any chance to make movies my daughter can actually see,” he said.

On acting opposite Park, the 42-year-old actor said that he could feel explosive energy from the “Parasite” star.

“Park was so hardworking and full of energy that we got along really well on the set,” he said. “Unfortunately, she couldn’t watch the film because she is recovering from surgery. However she texted me on the premiere date and apologized for not doing the promotional activities. I told her not to worry about it and that the film turned out amazing.”


Funnyman Song Sae-byeok on playing bad cop in ‘Special Delivery’
Source: Buhay Kapa PH

Post a Comment

0 Comments